Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23, 2010

After the Solstice - I took the spotting scope down to the garden this evening and found myself inspecting the moon in between the partly cloudy. I was there before sunset, but the sun was low enough that it illuminated the clouds from the side, turning low cumulus clouds into mounds of french vanilla ice cream with a waxing moon on top. Behind moon was a sky of light blue, almost green, framed by the low clouds. The clouds were moving quickly from the west, so I had to time my observations. As the light faded from the evening sky, it was like watching the Cheshire cat slowly appearing. The local murder of crows returned to roost just north of the gardens. Really, what so rare as a day in June.
I still enjoy watching the moon. It is comfortable; it feels like the ticking of the hall clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment